Roach rules out Concepcion-Lopez title fight
By RONNIE NATHANIELSZ
Celebrated trainer Freddie Roach has ruled out a title fight in the near future for North American Boxing Federation champion Bernabe Concepcion against newly-crowned WBO super bantamweight sensation Juan Manuel Lopez .
In an overseas telephone conversation with Viva Sports, Roach said Lopez was “a little too dangerous” for Concepcion at this point in the 20-year-old Filipino’s career and said Concepcion “will need a little more seasoning” before he takes on the hard-hitting Puerto Rican who scored a sensational first round knockout over previously menacing Daniel Ponce De Leon on Sunday.
Also, Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao and Michael Koncz, who plays a role of some sort of an adviser and has ties with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, both believe Concepcion isn’t ready to take on Lopez.
Before the fight againstPonce De Leon, which he expected Lopez to win, Arum spoke about a possible Concepcion-Lopez title fight if the Filipino performed well on the July 26 Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito undercard. But after watching Lopez demolish Ponce De Leon, even Arum may have second thoughts although he said Concepcion would probably be the only one with guts to step into the ring against the Puerto Rican.