Steven Luevano vs. Bernabe Concepcion

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , on August 12, 2009 by scholarwarrior

Concepcion No Undercard Ornament

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , on February 23, 2009 by scholarwarrior

by Joel Orellana for Business Mirror

MANNY PACQUIAO may be the toast of the world boxing community, but lurking in Pacman’s shadow is a potential world champion who has started to carve his own niche in the global arena.

Bernabe “Abe” Concepcion, the pride of Catanduanes, fights in the undercard of the Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton mega buck fight on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

photo courtesy of Rhoy Cobilla

DEPARTMENT of Transportation and Communications Assistant Secretary Atty. Cesar Sarmiento with Bernabe “Abe” Concepcion. photo courtesy of Rhoy Cobilla

Concepcion (28-1-1, 16 knockouts) will be going after the World Boxing Organization featherweight crown of Californian Steven Levano (36-1-1, 15 knockouts), his first shot at a world title.

But he won’t be a mere undercard ornament. The country will expectedly be feverishly rooting for him, like what is expected to go Pacquiao’s way.

And the first to do that are his fellow Cantanduanons, who on Friday night gave him a warm sendoff testimonial dinner at the Alano Hall of the Philippine Navy Golf Club.

The event was arranged by the Rotary Club of Parañaque. Government officials, businessmen and well-wishers from Catanduanes raised a glass for 21-year-old Concepcion, who is fast becoming the country’s newest boxing sensation.

For the record, Concepcion knocked out Sande Otieno of Kenya in the fifth round to clinch the World Boxing Council (WBC) International featherweight title on January 11 at the Araneta Coliseum. That was his 17th consecutive win.

“We feel [that] here in Metro Manila, no one is taking the initiative of recognizing the accomplishment of Bernabe Concepcion as a world boxing champion,” said Department of Transportation and Communications Assistant Secretary Atty. Cesar Sarmiento, who organized the event.

“That’s why we thought about this [testimonial dinner and sendoff] and hopefully this occasion would inspire Abe,” Sarmiento added.

Supporters are hopeful the young Concepcion would get as much attention—and cheers—as Pacquiao on fight night.

Full Story here >>>

Concepcion finally gets his first title shot vs. Luevano!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags on February 1, 2009 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Bernabe “Real Deal” Concepcion (28-1-1, 16 KO’s) battles WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (36-1-1, 15 KO’s) on the undercard of the “Battle of the East and West” headlined by Filipino boxing hero Manny Pacquiao against Britain’s Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that he changed his original plan of staging the Concepcion fight on his April 25 card in Puerto Rico and moved it to May 2 because the April date was “no good, because trainer Freddie Roach wants to be with Concepcion” in his corner.

Arum said “obviously that’s a very important fight” for Concepcion but since it will take place during the training of Manny he decided to “accommodate everybody” by moving the Concepcion-Luevano title fight to May 2.

The 21 year old Concepcion who is managed by Aljoe Jaro in partnership with Pacquiao and Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz is coming off a 5th round technical decision win over gutsy Sande Otieno in a clash for the vacant WBC International featherweight title with Concepcion who was having a hard time making the super bantamweight limit of 122 moving up to featherweight.

Concepcion opened up a bad cut over Otieno’s right eye in the third round with a hard right and bloodied his face in the fifth forcing referee Bruce McTavish to call a halt on the advise of the ring physician.

Concepcion, the hard-hitting title prospect fought four times last year and won all four but had a tough time against Mexico’s Giovanni Caro over whom he scored an 8th round knockout after the ring physician had wanted to stop the fight in the previous round because the Filipino’s left eye was almost totally shut.

One report on the fight said that sensing urgency after seeing the doctor, Concepcion urged on by Pacquiao fought ferociously and landed a left-right combination that put Caro on the canvas for good.

Luevano is a 27 year old southpaw who won the title with an 11th round knockout of Britain’s undefeated Nicky Cook on July 14, 2007. He was held to a draw in a title defense against Mario Santiago last June 28 and in his last fight successfully defended his crown against Australia’s Billy Dib with a fairly comfortable twelve round decision.

Luevano is known for his speed and boxing ability and uses his left straight effectively although he doesn’t appear to have the power of Concepcion.

Bernabe Concepcion to visit Hometown

Posted in Uncategorized with tags on January 23, 2009 by scholarwarrior

Recently crowned World Boxing Council International Featherweight champion Bernabe Concepcion will be guest of Mayor Santos “Doc” Zafe when he passes by the capital town of Virac tomorrow afternoon on his way to a much-needed vacation in Viga.

Concepcion, who celebrated his 21st birthday yesterday (Jan. 20) and his party of seven will arrive via commercial flight from Manila Jan. 22. He will be joined by Mayor Zafe and other key town officials in a motorcade around town prior to a brief program at Plaza Rizal to honor his exploits in the ring.

Zafe told the Tribune that the province’s only world boxing champ had wanted to arrive today but he (the mayor) asked him to come a day later as the Zafe couple is marking their wedding anniversary today.

Recently, Abe scored a technical knockout over Kenya’s Sande Otieno in a fight the Philippine fighter controlled right from the opening bell until the end of the eighth round when the Kenyan’s handlers decided to throw in the towel.

Concepcion (28-1-1, 16 KOs) may take on WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano (36-1-1, 15 KOs) or WBC champion Oscar Larios (63-6-1, 39 KO’s) in the next few months. A slot in the undercards for the endangered Pacquiao-Hatton showdown in Las Vegas on May 2 could also materialize.

Article taken from the Catanduanes Tribune

Abe Concepcion is the NEW WBC International Featherweight Champion!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , on January 11, 2009 by scholarwarrior

Bernabe Concepcion captured the vacant WBC International featherweight title Sunday night (January 11, 2009), with a 5th round TKO win over Kenyan Sande Otieno. The fight was held at the historic Araneta Coliseum, and was Bernabe Concepcion’s first fight in 2009, after having a breakthrough 2008, where he successfully defended his NABF title a couple of times, topping it off with a head-turning performance on the undercard of Cotto and Margarito’s entry for fight of the year.

Last night’s fight was also the first time for Bernabe Concepcion to fight for a title in a locally promoted card, as his past title shots and defenses were all held abroad; his last seven fights in fact were either held in the US or Mexico. The card was a just and fitting welcome for the 20-year old son of Virac, Catanduanes, not because he won another regional title in another weight class, but more importantly because he was able to perform again in front of his countrymen, something Concepcion always wanted to do.

Against, Sande Otieno, Bernabe Concepcion was pretty much landing at will, and was definitely landing the more telling blows, bloodying the Kenyan’s nose as early as the first round. Concepcion controlled the fight from round one, staggering Otieno repeatedly, letting up once in while to let the Kenyan land a couple of his own shots, prolonging the fight a little to give the audience their money’s worth. Bernabe Concepcion seemed to be content with counterpunching and tagging Otieno with his right leads in the early rounds, but turned it up a notch by round 4 cutting Otieno along the left eyebrow: a cut that was made worse by an accidental clash of heads. The Kenyan was allowed to fight one more round but Concepcion kept tagging him with hard shots to the head and body and the round ends with Otieno dripping blood everywhere. After the 5th round, the doctor has seen enough.

Otieno like Bernabe Concepcion was also going up in weight from superbantam hoping to capture the vacant WBC Intercontinental featherweight title. Otieno was the former WBC international Superbantamweight Champion, a champion that has not been stopped in 17 fights. His lone loss was via a technical decision, losing on points when the fight was stopped after his opponent was deemed unable to continue because of a cut suffered from an accidental clash of heads.

With the win, Bernabe Concepcion would seem to be letting go of the superbantamweight division, and moving to the featherweight division after apparently having trouble making 122. It is a shame though that he wasn’t able to capture a world title at superbantam despite being highly rated by both the WBC and WBO, we hope that 2009 would be THAT year, and featherweight would be THAT division where Bernabe Concepcion finally wins his first world title. Winning the WBC International featherweight belt, is indeed a good start. Congratulations Abe!

Goodluck Abe! Link to Concepcion vs. Otieno here!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , on January 11, 2009 by scholarwarrior

Watch Abe Concepcion gun for the WBC International Featherweight title tonight in this link at around 9PM Philippine time.  Goodluck Abe!

Concepcion ready for WBC Int’l title bid

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on January 4, 2009 by scholarwarrior

By Recah Trinidad
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Torrid, toe-to-toe action which Filipino fight fans missed in last month’s Dream Match in Las Vegas could be enjoyed when hard-hitting Filipino Bernabe Concepcion fights for the vacant WBC International featherweight crown at the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday.

Aljoe Jaro, Concepcion’s manager, pledged this on Sunday as his fast-growing fighter prepares for his showdown with former WBC International titlist Sande Otieno of Kenya.

Jaro said Concepcion is ready for his first fight in the exacting but richer featherweight ranks.

“He has just grown too big for the 122-pound division,” Jaro told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net). “But I’m sure Bernabe will be at his best at 126 lb where he could make use of his full power.”

Full story here >>>