Archive for Bob Arum

Concepcion ready for WBC Int’l title bid

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on January 4, 2009 by scholarwarrior

By Recah Trinidad
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Torrid, toe-to-toe action which Filipino fight fans missed in last month’s Dream Match in Las Vegas could be enjoyed when hard-hitting Filipino Bernabe Concepcion fights for the vacant WBC International featherweight crown at the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday.

Aljoe Jaro, Concepcion’s manager, pledged this on Sunday as his fast-growing fighter prepares for his showdown with former WBC International titlist Sande Otieno of Kenya.

Jaro said Concepcion is ready for his first fight in the exacting but richer featherweight ranks.

“He has just grown too big for the 122-pound division,” Jaro told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net). “But I’m sure Bernabe will be at his best at 126 lb where he could make use of his full power.”

Full story here >>>

Advertisements

Bernabe Concepcion targets Luevano!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , on August 15, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Dennis Principe (Friday, August 15 2008 )

NABF Superbantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion is being lined-up to fight WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano this coming October. According to trainer Freddie Roach, Concepcion is poised to move-up in weight and get his first-ever shot at a world title. Roach made the revelation thru the daily Philippine radio show “Sports Chat” hosted by this writer.

In the same interview Roach said the fight may happen beneath the Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins fight set on October 18 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The 20-year-old Concepcion, who fights under Top Rank Inc. in association with MP Promotions owned by Manny Pacquiao has a record of 26-1-1 with 15 knockouts.

Luevano meanwhile is a 27-year-old southpaw with a record of 35-1-1 with 15 knockouts. The La Puente California fighter won the crown by stopping Nicky Cook in the 11th round last July 2007 in London and has defended it three times. Listen to the interview with Freddie Roach.

Listen to Roach’ interview here>>>

CONCEPCION BEING LINED UP FOR WBO TITLE FIGHT

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , on June 4, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 04 Jun 2008

North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion is being lined up by Top Rank promoter Bob Arum for a possible WBO world title fight.

However, Arum said in an interview on dzSR Radio’s “Sports Chat” hosted by Viva Sports “Main Event” TV boxing analyst Dennis Principe that the title fight depends on the outcome of the June 7 showdown between reigning 122 pound champion Daniel Ponce De Leon (34-1, 30 KO’s) and Juan Manuel Lopez (21-0, 19 KO’s) of Puerto Rico and Concepcion’s performance on the undercard of the blockbuster WBA welterweight title fight Miguel Angel Cotto (32-0, 26 KO’s)-Antonio Margarito (36-5, 26 KO’s).

Arum who has been enamored with the 20 year old Concepcion said he is “a little guy I’m so proud of.” Arum announced that since Lopez is “my fighter and depending on how Concepcion looks in July, then I’m going to get him a world title fight if Lopez wins.” While Arum conceded that Ponce De Leon was “a dangerous puncher, anything can happen and we believe that Lopez is ready and we believe he’s going to win.”

Full story here >>>

Arum says Concepcion is Something Special

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on April 30, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2008

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who promoted the fight card in Quartero, Mexico in which Bernabe Concepcion retained his North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight title with a second round TKO over 2004 Olympic alternate Torrence Daniels says “I always thought of him (Concepcion) as something special.”

In an overseas telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today, Arum said he was “very proud of him (Concepcion). He fought a tough guy with a great background and had won some good fights.”

He said Concepcion “looked spectacular” adding that he had “been in love with this kid from the beginning. He is getting better and better.”

However, the astute promoter isn’t planning to rush the hard-hitting, 20 year old, undefeated Filipino into a title fight with IBF champion Steve “The Canadian Kid Molitor. Arum said he is likely to put Concepcion on a fight card in Vera Cruz, Mexico on July 12 or on the big Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito showdown in as Vegas on July 26.

Dr. Allan Recto who was assigned by WBC secretary general Mauricio Sulaiman as ringside physician for the main event between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Tobia Guiseppe Loriga said Concepcion is “ a hot prospect and hopefully one of the future hopes in Philippine boxing.“

Dr. Recto said he had also heard of plans by Top Rank to possibly feature Concepcion on the May 17 “Latin Fury” fight card in Aguascalientes , Mexico headlined by Jorge Arce who battles undefeated Thai Devid Lookmahanak.

Full story here>>>

Abe Finally Gets his own space at Philboxing.com

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on April 30, 2008 by scholarwarrior

Dong Secuya, site owner of Mannypacquiao.ph and Philboxing.com, finally gave Bernabe Concepcion his long overdue forum in Philboxing.com, being one of the Philippines’ most promising (if not the most promising) boxing prospect today.

Concepcion fans have been clamoring for Concepcion to get his own space in the site ever since he won the WBC Youth and NABF Super bantamweight titles two years ago. The call became more intense this year after a couple of solid performances against rugged opposition, including a gutsy win over Juan Ruiz in Mexico. Results of polls and petitions were overwhelming and even a number of posts in Philboxing insinuated that Secuya, being a Cebuano and friend of of the Aldeguers, was favoring ALA and South-based boxers over those from the North. Concepcion is a Bicolano from Catanduanes but calls Rizal his second home. This prompted site owner Dong Secuya to issue a statement saying that if Concepcion wins his next fights in impressive fashion, then he’ll surely give him his own forum.

So before Abe Concepcion fought and obliterated Torrence Daniels in two rounds a couple of days ago, Abe wasn’t even acknowledged as a Filipino-up-and-coming fighter in Secuya’s Philboxing.com – this despite Concepcion’s two belts and his being ranked in the top 10 of the WBC and WBO as well as in some respected sites such as fightnews.com.

Finally, after a solid win against Daniels, Dong Secuya surprised a lot of Bernabe Concepcion fans this week by giving Concepcion his own forum at his website along with this message “With Concepcion’s impressive victory against Daniels yesterday, Concepcion now joins a few of our boxers who are making waves in the International arena. – Dong Secuya”

You can access Abe Concepcion’s Philboxing forum here>>> and in this site’s blogroll at the right side of your screen.

Juanma Chickens out of Concepcion Fight

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , on January 4, 2008 by scholarwarrior

juanma-chicken.jpg

News from Salven Lagumbay (full article here.), confirmed by boxrec.com as well as by Dennis Principe, says that Puerto Rican Juan Manuel Lopez withrew from the Concepcion fight for no apparent reason (or at least none as of yet). Arum said Concepcion will now face a fighter named “Rubio” according to Lagumbay and “Ruiz” according to Dennis Principe (full article here) yet boxrec.com only has a record of one active fighter named “Rubio” that is anywhere near Concepcion’s division and he’s a super featherweight who has a record of 3 wins 2 KOs.  So I think Principe heard Uncle Bob right and Arum might be referring to Mexican Superbantam Heriberto Ruiz (37-6-0, 22 KOs) as a possible replacement for Juanma.  So right now, Concepcion’s next fight is, well in limbo to say the least.

In my humble opinion, I think Bob Arum suddenly had this realization that it would be better to have two young high-rated prospects in his stable instead of just one. Pitting his two best talents in superbantam would only end up tarnishing the record of one of them – not really an intelligent move especially now that GBP is overtly trying to sign-up the best talents in the lower divisions. Having two prize talents instead of one would only make good business sense. The fact that the Juanma-Concepcion fight has been shelved also bolsters the fact that Arum believes that Concepcion is really the “real deal” as he is “protecting” his other fighter Juanma from a possible first loss.

Having both Puerto Rican and Filipino fans’ support also makes good business sense, as both fan bases turn up in huge numbers whenever their fighters face a Mexican, so pitting both rabid fan base over the other would be like seeing Arum donate to charity.

Or it could simply be that Juanma is just trying to stay clear of “high risk” fights, opting to face fellow Puerto Rican Jonathan Oquendo at home instead of NABF champ Abe Concepcion in Mexico, in anticipation of a possible crack at Daniel Ponce De Leon this year (this according to Lopez’ website).