Archive for Freddie Roach

Concepcion ready for WBC Int’l title bid

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on January 4, 2009 by scholarwarrior

By Recah Trinidad
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Torrid, toe-to-toe action which Filipino fight fans missed in last month’s Dream Match in Las Vegas could be enjoyed when hard-hitting Filipino Bernabe Concepcion fights for the vacant WBC International featherweight crown at the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday.

Aljoe Jaro, Concepcion’s manager, pledged this on Sunday as his fast-growing fighter prepares for his showdown with former WBC International titlist Sande Otieno of Kenya.

Jaro said Concepcion is ready for his first fight in the exacting but richer featherweight ranks.

“He has just grown too big for the 122-pound division,” Jaro told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net). “But I’m sure Bernabe will be at his best at 126 lb where he could make use of his full power.”

Full story here >>>

Advertisements

Juanma now says that Concepcion didn’t want to fight him

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , on August 31, 2008 by scholarwarrior

In an pathetic attempt to justify team Juanma Lopez’ handpicking of Olivier Lontchi for the WBO Champion’s first defense, they floated some names that allegedly were scared to fight him. The list includes Gerry Penalosa victim Johnny Gonzalez, Ponce de Leon victims Boom Boom Bautista and Sod Looknongyangtoy and Bernabe Concepcion.

“The truth is that nobody of the top ten in my division wants to fight me.” – Juanma Lopez

Full article about Juanma’s new challenger here >>>

This is quite interesting because Bernabe Concepcion already personally said in a past interview (video is still in youtube) that he looks forward to meeting Juanma Lopez in the ring. Remember Juanma Lopez already ducked Concepcion before, opting to fight less dangerous Oquendo so as not to derail his date with Ponce De Leon. Arum even talked about the fight in an interview (still available on youtube) only to find out that team Juanma Lopez made a deal with GBP (apparently without Arum knowing) that team Lopez chose to fight Oquendo in Puerto Rico instead.

IF it is true that a challenge was indeed given to team Concepcion, It is very doubtful that Pacman, Jaro et al turned it down. Concepcion’s management save for Roach who has reservations about Concepcion facing Lopez all believe that he is ready for a title shot, but Roach’s reservation stems more from Concepcion’s being untested in his fights more than anything else – Concepcion only fought as a Roach pupil in two fights and they all ended early. Interestingly, it is Roach who is confident on Concepcion jumping one division higher and challenging for bigger Steven Luevano’s WBO title.

If this is team Juanma Lopez’ way of regaining their ward’s lost manhood for ducking Concepcion before, it just won’t work. Masking their allegations in spanish and posting it in spanish speaking websites won’t change the fact that; one, Juanma ducked Concepcion and two, there WASN’T ANY CHALLENGE or even a FEELER sent to team Concepcion for a title shot. Olivier Lontchi may seem like a credible challenge for Juanma Lopez, but no way is Lontchi more dangerous than Concepcion or Bautista or even a Sod Looknongyangtoy. The Canadian barely escaped in his last fight, being knocked down in the first round and pummeled post to post in much of the early rounds by a fighter handpicked by Lontchi’s team to pad Olivier’s record. How the hometown judges saw that fight as a draw is beyond me.

Juanma Lopez and Abe Concepcion will meet in the near future, there’s no denying that, but team Lopez’ incredulous claims of Concepcion being scared of Lopez is nothing short of pathetic. Dream on.

Bernabe Concepcion targets Luevano!

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , on August 15, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Dennis Principe (Friday, August 15 2008 )

NABF Superbantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion is being lined-up to fight WBO featherweight champion Steven Luevano this coming October. According to trainer Freddie Roach, Concepcion is poised to move-up in weight and get his first-ever shot at a world title. Roach made the revelation thru the daily Philippine radio show “Sports Chat” hosted by this writer.

In the same interview Roach said the fight may happen beneath the Kelly Pavlik-Bernard Hopkins fight set on October 18 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The 20-year-old Concepcion, who fights under Top Rank Inc. in association with MP Promotions owned by Manny Pacquiao has a record of 26-1-1 with 15 knockouts.

Luevano meanwhile is a 27-year-old southpaw with a record of 35-1-1 with 15 knockouts. The La Puente California fighter won the crown by stopping Nicky Cook in the 11th round last July 2007 in London and has defended it three times. Listen to the interview with Freddie Roach.

Listen to Roach’ interview here>>>

Roach Reveals That Pacquiao Signed Up Concepcion

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , on June 8, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Trainer Freddie Roach revealed Friday that North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion had been signed up by Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao.

Roach made the revelation to Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today from his Wild Card gym in Los Angeles after a sparring session in which Pacquiao went ten hard rounds.

Aljoe Jaro had claimed on the program “Sports Chat” hosted by young Dennis Principe over dzSR Sports Radio on Thursday that he would accompany Concepcion to the US on June 24, contrary to Top Rank promoter Bob Arum’s statement that the NABF champion would leave today (Friday) and that a ticket had already been sent.

However, it appears that Aljoe Jaro, the former boxer who managed Concepcion didn’t want the young fighter to go alone and claimed that there were individuals in the US, both Filipinos and foreigners who were trying to take Concepcion away from him.

But Roach dismissed such speculation saying “he has signed a contract with Manny.” The celebrated trainer disclosed that Pacquiao had spoken to Aljoe Jaro on Thursday night and “everything is going to be okay. He (Concepcion) will be here this week.”

Concepcion is scheduled to fight on the undercard of the blockbuster showdown between Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito on July 26 but Arum said he had forgotten the name of the opponent who, he said, was not a Mexican.

Arum indicated that should Juan Manuel Lopez, the undefeated Puerto Rican sensation defeat WBO super bantamweight champion Daniel Ponce De Leon this weekend and should Concepcion put on an impressive performance then he would give the hard-hitting Filipino a shot at the title which he said posed no problems since he promotes both fighters.

Roach said he was “impressed with Concepcion. The kid can punch.”

(taken from boxingscene.com>>>)

NOTES FROM THE SITE OWNER:

Another article said that Abe Concepcion might be up against featherweight Gary Stark Jr. (former IBF/NABF ranked prospect) but that it hasn’t been finalized yet. (http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim060608.asp)

Stark was a blue-chip prospect until he ran into a series of unfortunate loses last year – a controversial decision loss to Mike Oliver and an upset KO loss to a journeyman in a fight where he was giving his opponent a boxing lesson and actually had his opponent down.

If this fight materializes, Abe Concepcion should not take the guy lightly if he wants a shot at either Molitor or Juanma Lopez late this year or early next year.

From Ronnie Nathanielsz “Handling Criticism”

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , on February 19, 2008 by scholarwarrior

“While we are on the subject of vicious criticism, there are those who have bitterly assailed our North American Boxing Federation champion Bernabe Concepcion for what some of them felt was a poor showing while others continue to loosely use the word “bum” in referring to some of our boxers. This is shameful because these young men are doing their very best for their country and at the same time striving to improve the quality of their lives.

Concepcion fought well. He beat a tough Mexican in his own backyard. He won praise from WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who were both at the fights. The astute Arum said Concepcion put on an excellent show against a rugged opponent and that the Mexicans love Concepcion. It is indeed sad if not a shame that while the people of the man he beat admired Concepcion some Filipinos sought to put him down.”

An excerpt from “Handling criticism by Ronnie Nathanielsz, Manila Standard Online Feb 19, 2008

Freddie Roach is now Bernabe Concepcion’s new trainer

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , on February 19, 2008 by scholarwarrior

Following his recent unanimous decision win over Juan  Ruiz of Mexico under Toprank’s “Latin Fury” card,  Toprank big boss Bob Arum  announced yesterday (Feb 19) in an interview with Dennis Principe over at sportschat that Freddie Roach will now be Bernabe Concepcion’s new  trainer.

Arum also announced that Bernabe Concepcion will be fighting again on April 26, 2008. Toprank’s April 26 card that will be held in Queretaro, Queretaro, Mexico will again feature the Chavez brothers Omar and Julio Cesar Jr., as well as Edgar Sosa defending his WBC light flyweight title against unbeaten Mexican prospect Giovanni Segura, that is if Sosa defends the belt successfully this March against Carlos Melo of Panama.

Bernabe Concepcion’s scheduled opponent (subject to change) is former 2004 National Golden Gloves Bantamweight Champion Torrence “Dynamite” Daniels 10-3-1 (4KOs).