Archive for superbantamweight

Concepcion ready for WBC Int’l title bid

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , , , on January 4, 2009 by scholarwarrior

By Recah Trinidad
Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Torrid, toe-to-toe action which Filipino fight fans missed in last month’s Dream Match in Las Vegas could be enjoyed when hard-hitting Filipino Bernabe Concepcion fights for the vacant WBC International featherweight crown at the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday.

Aljoe Jaro, Concepcion’s manager, pledged this on Sunday as his fast-growing fighter prepares for his showdown with former WBC International titlist Sande Otieno of Kenya.

Jaro said Concepcion is ready for his first fight in the exacting but richer featherweight ranks.

“He has just grown too big for the 122-pound division,” Jaro told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net). “But I’m sure Bernabe will be at his best at 126 lb where he could make use of his full power.”

Full story here >>>

Advertisements

With Abe, Mares and JuanMa, the division is in good hands

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on July 29, 2008 by scholarwarrior

Manny Pacquiao, Eric Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera, Israel Vasquez and Rafael Marquez have three things in common; one, they are all hall of fame bound (well three of them are hall-of-fame shoe-ins right now), two, they are all P4P listers and lastly, they all held titles in the super bantamweight division.

Pacquiao, Morales and Barrera went on to win titles in higher weight divisions leaving the division in the hands of more-than-worthy successors Vazquez and Rafa Marquez but both these guys at 30 and 33 years of age respectively aren’t getting any younger and would definitely need to pass on the baton to the next generation.

Molitor and Caballero does hold titles now but at ages 28 and 32 respectively, aren’t really what you call “young guns”. The undefeated Molitor doesn’t seem to want to fight outside Canada, while tall and lanky Caballero doesn’t seem to have the chin to go with his vaunted power much like erstwhile title holder Daniel Ponce de Leon who was drilled in one round. Still the division is quite deep with prospects. You have in that list the likes of 21 year-old Boom Boom Bautista from the Philippines, 22 year-old Brazilian Alex de Oliveira, 22 year-old Kiko Martinez of Spain, undefeated 22 year-old Mexican Abner Mares, 20 year-old Filipino Abe Concepcion who is the current NABF Champ and undefeated 25-year old WBO Champ Juanma Lopez.

The most promising of these prospects are Beristain-trained Abner Mares, Roach-trained Concepcion who wowed Kellerman, Lampley and Stewart in his demolition of Adam Carrera and of course the fearsome Juanma Lopez, who took out Daniel Ponce de Leon in one round for the WBO belt. So the old-boys in the division better watch out..the young guns are coming, and they are a nasty bunch.

IBF SAYS MOLITOR CHICKENING OUT WAS THEIR CALL

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , on May 20, 2008 by scholarwarrior

From Ronnie Nathanielsz’ article on Philboxing.com

IBF SAYS MOLITOR CAN’T AGREE TO CONCEPCION FIGHT”

International Boxing Federation Championship Committee chairman Lindsey Tucker has ruled out any possibility of North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion fighting IBF champion Steve “The Canadian Kid” Molitor for Molitor’s world title.

Tucker made the statement after Concepcion’s manager Aljoe Jaro claimed tthe undefeated Molitor ( 27-0, 10 KO’s) had refused to fight the 20 year old Filipino who has a record of 25-1-1 with 14 knockouts on the undercard of the “Lethal Combination” showdown between Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao and WBC lightweight champion David Diaz in Las Vegas on June 28.

The impression being projected that Molitor was scared to give Concepcion a title shot was effectively corrected by Tucker who informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that Molitor “cannot agree to defend his title against someone who is unranked by the IBF but ranked by another organization.” Concepcion is ranked No. 7 by the World Boxing Council.


Full story here >>>

CONCEPCION TO FIGHT ON PACQUIAO-DIAZ CARD

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , on May 6, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com

North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion’s planned May 17 fight in Aguascalientes, Mexico wont push through and instead he will see action on the “Lethal Combination” fight card headlined by Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao and WBC lightweight champion David Diaz at the Mandalay Bay Resort Hitel & Casino in Las Vegas on June 28.

Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today learned that Michael Koncz who is reportedly acting as an agent of Concepcion because of his close relationship with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, informed Concepcion that he would not fight on May 17 and that Top Rank “will most likely put him on the undercard of the Pacquiao-Diaz fight.”

Concepcion told WBC ring physician Dr. Allan Recto that he was pleased at the decision since he “might get hurt on May 17 and may lose the opportunity of fighting in a better, bigger pay-per-view event.”

Full story here >>>

 

Arum says Concepcion is Something Special

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on April 30, 2008 by scholarwarrior

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2008

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who promoted the fight card in Quartero, Mexico in which Bernabe Concepcion retained his North American Boxing Federation super bantamweight title with a second round TKO over 2004 Olympic alternate Torrence Daniels says “I always thought of him (Concepcion) as something special.”

In an overseas telephone conversation with Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today, Arum said he was “very proud of him (Concepcion). He fought a tough guy with a great background and had won some good fights.”

He said Concepcion “looked spectacular” adding that he had “been in love with this kid from the beginning. He is getting better and better.”

However, the astute promoter isn’t planning to rush the hard-hitting, 20 year old, undefeated Filipino into a title fight with IBF champion Steve “The Canadian Kid Molitor. Arum said he is likely to put Concepcion on a fight card in Vera Cruz, Mexico on July 12 or on the big Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito showdown in as Vegas on July 26.

Dr. Allan Recto who was assigned by WBC secretary general Mauricio Sulaiman as ringside physician for the main event between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Tobia Guiseppe Loriga said Concepcion is “ a hot prospect and hopefully one of the future hopes in Philippine boxing.“

Dr. Recto said he had also heard of plans by Top Rank to possibly feature Concepcion on the May 17 “Latin Fury” fight card in Aguascalientes , Mexico headlined by Jorge Arce who battles undefeated Thai Devid Lookmahanak.

Full story here>>>

Abe Finally Gets his own space at Philboxing.com

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , , , , on April 30, 2008 by scholarwarrior

Dong Secuya, site owner of Mannypacquiao.ph and Philboxing.com, finally gave Bernabe Concepcion his long overdue forum in Philboxing.com, being one of the Philippines’ most promising (if not the most promising) boxing prospect today.

Concepcion fans have been clamoring for Concepcion to get his own space in the site ever since he won the WBC Youth and NABF Super bantamweight titles two years ago. The call became more intense this year after a couple of solid performances against rugged opposition, including a gutsy win over Juan Ruiz in Mexico. Results of polls and petitions were overwhelming and even a number of posts in Philboxing insinuated that Secuya, being a Cebuano and friend of of the Aldeguers, was favoring ALA and South-based boxers over those from the North. Concepcion is a Bicolano from Catanduanes but calls Rizal his second home. This prompted site owner Dong Secuya to issue a statement saying that if Concepcion wins his next fights in impressive fashion, then he’ll surely give him his own forum.

So before Abe Concepcion fought and obliterated Torrence Daniels in two rounds a couple of days ago, Abe wasn’t even acknowledged as a Filipino-up-and-coming fighter in Secuya’s Philboxing.com – this despite Concepcion’s two belts and his being ranked in the top 10 of the WBC and WBO as well as in some respected sites such as fightnews.com.

Finally, after a solid win against Daniels, Dong Secuya surprised a lot of Bernabe Concepcion fans this week by giving Concepcion his own forum at his website along with this message “With Concepcion’s impressive victory against Daniels yesterday, Concepcion now joins a few of our boxers who are making waves in the International arena. – Dong Secuya”

You can access Abe Concepcion’s Philboxing forum here>>> and in this site’s blogroll at the right side of your screen.

Weekend Fights

Posted in Uncategorized with tags , , , , , , , , , on February 11, 2008 by scholarwarrior

by the Associated Press

…Bernabe Concepcion, Philippines, outpointed Juan Ruiz, Santa Clarita, Calif., 12, to retain his NABF super bantamweight title. >>> here